Administration and Operations Assistant
Time requirements: 10-15 hours a week, including occasional evenings and weekends
Work schedule can be flexible; weekly time demand will vary
Duration: Contract (March 15th – December 31st/2016)
Contract: $12-14hr depending on experience
- Complete daily Social Media updates and general maintenance including uploading of current info and pictures onto our website, Flickr, Instragram, and Facebook accounts.
- Assist in the creation of new litter-based activities and display boards for event booths
- Attend community events as needed throughout the year
- When possible, assist with the ongoing expansion of curriculum-based material for both the Junior Anti-Litter bug Club and proposed program for youth
- This could include research on environmental education as it relates to litter control, designing age appropriate cultural or science based activities for youth, meeting with relevant organizations, writing concise and accurate literacy pieces, etc.
- Assist in increasing youth involvement with the AAB programs- this could involve speaking with teachers and parents, reaching out to other educators, meeting with youth, increasing media presence, and online research
- Assist in the organization and delivery of Summer Day camps such as the “Wildlife and Litter” day camp offered to children ages 6-12
- Maintain Volunteer Database to ensure up-to-date information is available- this includes contact detail changes and monthly cleanup reports from – schools, sponsors, volunteers, grant sources, media sources, JBC members
- Update online map to reflect up-to-date adoption information is available to the public
- Update the “Mission’s Litter Hot Spots” list and reach out to community members to address problem areas
- Assist in delivering educational material to the public and school district as needed
- Assist with large One-Time Group Clean-ups as required (i.e. Stave Lake Clean-ups)
- Participate in the writing of grant applications as needed (training can be provided)
- Build and maintain positive working relationships within the community
- Attend monthly board meetings
Other duties as required
- Demonstrated relevant education and/or work experience
- Comfortable working outdoors and with children
- Excellent computer knowledge and strong design skills
- Experience in marketing, research or administration
- Graphic design skills would be an asset
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Community oriented
- Concern for the environment
- A strong knowledge of the Mission community would be an asset
To apply please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to Sophie Thomas, Society Co-ordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition End Date: February 20th/2016
Our First Annual Scavenger Hunt was a great success! Thank you to everyone who came out to participate!
Special thanks to Save-on-Foods for providing all our supplies and prizes.
The GRAND PRIZE WINNER of a large gift basket courtesy of Save-on-Foods is:
the Pennier Family
The Most Litter Collected award goes to our Junior Bug Club member: Cameron Keenan
Issue Date: January 30, 2015
Love Where You Live Photo and Video Contest
Respect for the planet begins with respect for your neighbourhood. Love Where You Live is a new initiative by the Mission Adopt-A-Block Society which started out as a Photo Contest in October 2013. The goal of this program is to promote civic pride and environmental responsibility among Mission youth ages 12-18.
The youth are encouraged to participate in this contest by taking on an area that needs a little TLC. Participants may choose to clean up around a local park, remove debris from a stream, paint over graffiti or come up with their own ideas. Whatever the project is, it needs to be documented through before and after photos or 3-5min video.
Mission Adopt-a-Block will award cash prizes:
1st place – $500 | 2nd place – $250 | 3rd place – $100.
The contest is running from January to March 2015. Final submissions must be received at Mission Adopt-a-Block office no later than noon March 31st 2015.
For more information:
Issue Date: February 2, 2015
Mission Adopt-a-Block Family Day Scavenger Hunt
Mission Adopt-a-Block invites all community members to participate in a scavenger hunt on Family Day Monday, February 9th from 10am to 4:30pm.
This event promises to have you and your kids busy for hours, learning about the community, finding great treasure and spending quality time together having fun! Mission Adopt-a-Block in partnership with Save-on-Foods will hold a draw for a special prize for all those who will complete the scavenger hunt. Number of smaller prizes will be distributed throughout the hunt.
Scavenger hunt kits will be available for pick-up at the Mission Leisure Center on February 9th from 10am-1pm. All completed hunt packages must be dropped off at AAB offices by 4:30pm on February 9th.
For more information:Phone: 604-826-9423 Email: email@example.com