School Litter Challenge
Mission Adopt-A-Block Society’s School Litter Challenge invites schools to adopt their schoolyards and work together to reduce the litter found there over the course of the schoolyear. The primary goal of this program is to teach children how to protect the environment from litter and to reduce the amount of litter found on the school grounds.
On average, schools in Mission find over 1200 pieces of litter during a single audit with much of that litter originating from the school itself. This provides a great opportunity for students to learn about litter and actively take part in reducing and controlling it. During the School Litter Challenge, the school keeps track of the litter found monthly and endeavours to reduce it by the end of the school year.
Some creative solutions so far have been:
- Restricting packaged lunches from going on to the playground
- Introducing recycling and composting and other waste diversion programs
- Starting a Leadership or Environment program
- Presenting litter found through clean-up at monthly assemblies
This program includes a visit from Adopt-A-Block staff during which students will learn how to identify litter, how to safety handle it, and how to sort it into waste, recyclable, and compostables. The School Litter Challenge is an on-going program that allows students to ensure that their school grounds are kept litter-free throughout the year.
Main learning outcomes of this program for students:
- How litter enters and moves through the environment
- How litter negatively affects the environment and wildlife
- Where litter should go (Landfill, Compost, Recycling)
- How to safely remove litter
- Create unique solutions to reducing litter on their school grounds and implement those solutions throughout the year
Participating Schools Will Receive
- 30 Clean-up Kits which include a litter bag, tongs, and audit sheets to record the litter they pick up
- Information session for staff
- A full audit of the school grounds guided by 2 Adopt-A-Block staff
- Ongoing support throughout the school year as requested
To register your school please feel free to contact us through phone or email.